Thursday 26 April 2007

Uma Verdade Inconveniente.

I finally saw An Inconvenient Truth last night. I liked it, but found it seriously bothersome and somewhat lacking couth to see all of the footage of Mr Gore traveling by car and by air! Am I the only one who sees just a bit of a contradiction there, regarding fossil fuel and CO2 emissions?! I mean, I certainly appreciate the amazing part he is playing in educating the public. And in challenging us all. And, I loved the practical tips listed all throughout the closing credits and Melissa Ethridge's song. But....

Of course, I know what the tension (the contradiction) is all about. Coming back from many countries and many situations, pledging to change my lifestyle. Having great intentions to boycott everything! But of course, we have to "pick our battles". Pick what "issue" is most important to us and go after making a difference with your whole heart. Or, doing the little bits that one can over a variety of issues. I don't know which is better. I know that I certainly have picked what it is that I can do as much as I can. Buying locally, buying fairly traded clothing and drinks. Not shopping at Walmart. Recycling, minimizing water and electricity usage, walking, biking, car pooling. (But, well, I still fly...)

The most impressive and credible person I ever heard speak on the issue of emissions was Will Braun, one of the editors of Geez Magazine. He shared the importance of a personal connection to an "issue". He had had the opportunity to visit the end of the pipeline once in northern Alberta and spent some time in the First Nations community there. It was there where he really saw the negative effects of the oil industry on that community. And I believe it was that experience that motivated him the most to make deliberate decisions for change.

I certainly identify with this as well. Lately I've been realizing just how much the situation in New Orleans bothers me and how excited {for lack of a better word) I get at any mention of the city. I believe that must be because of the personal connection I have been able to make in going there six times now (twice, post-Katrina).

Similarly, on Sunday our church had a really different (and amazing) worship time. We watched a 45 minute documentary about creatures in the Amazon! Basically, our act of worship was seeing and learning about the awesome creation of the Creator! I particularly enjoyed it and felt connected because it was all from the Rio Negro, in Amazonas, Brazil. A place I have been to three times!

And then there are the experiences of others I have witnessed, who return home as people more compassionate and open-minded towards the poor, oppressed and needy. And all that from just spending time with and personally connecting with those they may not normally open themselves up to.

Yes, it is so true that we need this personal connection to an "issue". Especially to give us a motive to change our actions other than guilt.

All this is a side thought really. A good point. Now back to that Will Braun guy.

He actually biked to the Nidus Festival last August in Kitchener (where we at Global Youth Network were hosting a Fair Trade cafe), rather than accepting the plane ticket offered to him as a speaker. A distance of 2,220 km! At the time, we learned that he hadn't flown in three years! He has a campaign going called De-motorize Your Soul! Please check it out, as there are some practical things and some more food for thought. In fact, this whole little ramble is reminding me of this whole thing. Funny how we so easily forget the stories of those who impressed us once upon a time.

2 comments:

Chris Whitler said...

I can't wait for the day when all Global trips are done on sail boats! You'd get there and have to come home. Ok, ha ha. I noticed the same thing about Al flying and driving...true, the cars could have been clearer fuel cars but who knows. The simple truth is, beyond our reach, society has made motor vehicles almost necessary. Decreasing our use doesn't work unless everybody does it...I'm convinced past that, that industries and governments must accept the pressure to find clean fuel because these things are not as simple as just not driving. If we all did that, what pays the salary of the poor who build cars and their parts. I know low income families who only make it...but they make it and stay off the streets BECAUSE they work at Wal-Mart. So if Wal-Mart closes down, what then? The answers are not simple or easy. Who makes the call? I'm with you, I'm picking the best battles I can...rewarding retailers that I find that provide union made stuff, supporting fair trade when I find it but the poor don't get food unless we drive it to them...so our van is diesel, a cleaner fuel but still a fuel. And the US is doing better...California has harsh polluting laws. Most places in the world do not. Just recently in Mexico and Thailand...you know the smell...they air is heavy with it. It'll only work if we all do it. As for us, we can only do our best. Was my response longer than your blog? I'll check out the "no fly" guys site. Good thoughts.

Chris Whitler said...

Ok, I checked the site. Quite hopeful, do-able and good.