Friday 14 October 2011

Modes of Transportation

So the other day, I saw a twenty-something women riding one of these in a skirt. -->

Then, shortly after, saw one of these weird things.

These are not things you see everyday in Canada and it got me thinking about writing this blog entry. I was just going to grab more google images, but then I looked through my own photos and realized that I already have some of my own shots of transportation methods here!  I wish I had a shot of the woman on the scooter. Speaking of "scooter", I've recently realized that that word can signify many things in my Canadian English. The above, "push scooter" and then the following Vespa-type "scooter"
This is my own photo meant to display an interesting corner...a Medieval style building, and various methods of transportation.  Note the car in the process of parallel parking--a staple to any driving here.
We also call these "scooters" and I've seen a couple of these here, just motoring down the road or sidewalk, whatever was most convenient.
This is not my photo obviously.
But that analysis of "scooter" types is slightly off-topic and I will continue on now...





 You've seen some photos of cars (and another scooter) in this blog post and yes, cars are definitely around.  As you imagine, most are a lot smaller than in North America.  Here is a glimpse of the tiny Nissan I drove to La Rochelle a couple of weekends ago.












And here are some cars (a little larger), parked outside of my apartment building. (Yes this is where I live!)








Parked behind my building, are a lot of these!  A classic and popular French car.  I'm hoping that we get a Renault for our upcoming road trip, because I have yet to drive any French model.

Ok, then we have the ever popular bicycle!  (You saw some already parked at that corner in the shot above.)  Here's another attempted artsy shot from my first week here.
And, as evidence that bicycles are ridden in La Rochelle too, here was another artsy shot attempt.
Since La Rochelle is at the sea, one also finds boats!  Imagine!

Above and below you can also see the always popular choice of...
This is a random man walking in Vieux Tours
...walking.  In September, I was doing a lot of this!  Then I got sick.  And school got busier, so I bought a bus pass!  And now, this is my primary method of transportation.
Notice that it is one of those "accordion" buses, AKA "articulated" buses.  And notice the ever-present construction, making way for the future...
This is obviously not my photo!  That is the City Hall in the background.




 ...TRAM!






This is the front of the Palais de Justice and behold another, yet non-articulated, bus.

Nearly every day, I go here...








...beside the Round About and bus stop called...
.
 ..."Trois Rivières.  (Look, the sun isn't that high yet...it's quite cold in the mornings on my way to school.)
This is across the street, where I get off the bus (or get on, if I'm heading north to the supermarket or mall).  La Chevalerie is a Tabac, or convenience store that sells tons of magazines and newspapers and it has a little bar in it too.  Definitely a different combination than what one sees in Canada.







And then we have...










...the gypsy caravan!  I haven't seen many of these (just this one, in fact, at a bizarre fair thing).






And finally, the bull.  (Also not too common, but found at bizarre fair things.)

2 comments:

Christina said...

"Tois Riviere", that must remind you of Canada! LOL. Fun posts Beth. The convenience store/bar is an odd combo....is it a coffee bar or an actual drinking bar? I guess it's convenient to buy a magazine and read a beer? I imagine it being frequented by old men. ha ha ha.

Beth said...

It's a bar-bar. And yup, I see mostly men hanging around there! I haven't spent much time really checking it out and have only popped in a couple of times to buy stamps, bus tickets and magazines/newspapers...but it seems like a neat place!