Tuesday 15 January 2008

Post-Europe Trip Reflection #9: Beaune, Bourgogne--Pronounce That!

16 July

There really wasn't a lot of time to take in the sights of Villefranche-sur-Mer, so I had to get up early to at least try and dip my toes in the Mediterranean. It was nice to be back in France and to take pleasure in visiting the Boulangeries to buy le petit déjeuner. Last week I visited Richtree in Square One Mall (formerly known as Marché's Mövenpick) with the same three ladies and we all admitted that we were too timid to try their chocolate croissants for fear of disappointment after our French experiences.

I walked back to the hotel room with my purchases of bread, camembert and fruit to share with the others and then took back off to figure out just how to get down to the shore.

This proved to be more difficult then I first realized, but I enjoyed my walk and attempt at artistic photography. And I did dip my toes into the cold sea, which also proved somewhat difficult because it ended up being a harbour with no real shore.

I did my best to take it all in but really had to rush back to the hotel to make sure I got my money's worth of time in the swimming pool! Brrr. Too cold for my liking.

And that was the end of our French Riviera holiday. We were off!

Next stop was the small town of Beaune in the Burgundy region of France. Encircled by an interesting ring road, the old buildings, wine cellars and one way cobblestone streets made Beaune a lovely and quaint stay for us. We were once again fortunate to find a little hotel with a quad room at the last minute. This one had two levels! We didn't get the impression that our host liked us much when one of us accidentally knocked over a flower vase, when we declined the breakfast and when we couldn't get our MAC laptop to connect to her WiFi.

Strolling around Beaune of our own accord found us a pharmacy where we were able to replenish our Avene skin care products supply for considerably cheaper than in Canada and found us our favourite French dinner of the trip. With menus only in French, we did well to come away with wonderfully satisfying diverse meals. Here is the beauty that was my dessert.

17 July

As odd as it was, we had to make the decision to taste wine in the morning, since we had arrived too late the day previous. We visited the famed Marché aux Vins, many wine cellars connected to and under a church where Franciscan monks made much wine. We chose this wine cellar because it was the largest and we got to taste 15 wines! Being the driver, I definitely made use of the spittoons! Actually, we found that none of us really liked many of the wines and we all were using the spittoons. It wasn't until the end when we spoke with a sommelier, that we learned that Burgundy wines are known to be dry; and none of us are particular fans of dry wines! Ahh well, it was fun and I bought a bottle anyway. It's still in my cupboard.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.