Wednesday 7 September 2011

Some chuckles

I got home late this evening, after spending a nice evening with my Canadian comrade, a lovely Spanish girl I met at church and ran into at a school function and two sweet English girls who I met whilst writing my entrance test for French level evaluation.  Once again, I chose the wrong shoes (heels) for all the walking around.  Also, during dinner (chevre salad, lamb, poached pear), I realized that I would be too late to catch the last bus (which surprisingly runs only until 9ish!) so I decided to take the bus with the English girls to their residence and call a cab from there, since it looked closer on the map.  In the cab, I realized I didn't have enough money with me!  I thought that I could just run up into the apartment and bring down whatever would be owing.  But, the travaux (again, always "le travaux") cut off his route, so he took me as far as he could and pointed out how I could walk the rest of the way.  I was almost 2 Euros short!  How embarrassing!  And we realized that he had driven me home on my first day with my heavy, heavy suitcase (for which he had charged me extra).  But there was no choice except for me to dig out all the cash I had and hope he would be ok.  He was.  I guess.  What choice did he have?!  (He's probably shaking his head at this foreigner.)  Then I get inside and take a look at the bus schedule and realize, just like the night bus I took with the others, there is one that DOES run to my area too!  Erg...taxis are not cheap!!  Then, just now, setting my alarm on my iPod I saw the date...oh hey, it's my birthday!  Oops, I told some people that my birthday would be this Friday!

(I finally got an adapter that will fit with the outlet and with my converter.  It started smelling when I used both with my computer.  I knew it didn't need the converter, but the plug kept falling out without it.  I've had to rig a little stand to rest the plug on.  In the morning, I may try using my hair straightener....you know, since it's my birthday and all.  Hopefully I don't blow anything up!  It's definitely nice to have my own computer up and charged now.  So I should be able to get on Skype now and to keep this blog business going.  But this is all for now, since it's 1:00 a.m.)

No comments: