Tuesday 13 September 2011

The Return

So in France, back-to-school time is known as The Return.  It's written everywhere, I guess similar to Canada--commercials, billboards, headlines.  It's just the name itself that makes it a little different.  At first I had to question, what return?

First the children "returned", last week, then this week, the "students" (ie. at the Fac, as in, at the university) returned.  So, I returned this Monday.  Although of course for me, it was not a re-turn.  It was just a turn.  Or, as the word directly "rentrée" translates, "re-entry", for me it was just an "entrée" or an "entry".  So, I entered this Monday.

The French language for foreigners school doesn't start until next week, so my schedule this week is pretty relaxed, with each class lasting only about an hour.  And they're either in Spanish or Portuguese!  (Well, I have a History of Brazil course taught in French.)  It definitely has been tricky to think about those languages from a French perspective, to try to follow the profs who go back and forth between the language and French, while my head still translates to English.  Then there's the matter of how long it's been since I've looked at either of those languages and I've forgotten a lot of verb conjugations and now vocabulary is all muddled between the three languages!

And then there is the issue trying to figure out what level of course I should be in.  Jenelle and I had a class today about analyzing the style of Spanish poetry and it seemed a little over our heads.  But it is a second-year course.  Then we learned that to take Spanish at university, the French students need to have done Spanish in high school.  So maybe we are at a first year level, except there aren't really enough courses offered then or that fit in the schedule we each had to work so hard to figure out.  Anyway, lots of fun again!  My Laurier faculty advisor even commended me for working with the "tricky uncooperative French system"...her words.

The final piece that is somewhat difficult, is the same that I find at Laurier: it's not easy being a "mature student".  There is such an age gap.  At Laurier, I tend to joke about how I'm old, etc.--I think that is may be my way of intentionally setting myself apart in a way (and I am proud of my age), because I really do feel quite different than nearly all of my classmates...in a different place in life (aging parents with health issues, friends with children, live on my own, etc.), have experiences (travelled, worked, etc. for over 10 years)...or my way to show that I really have little interest in making university my whole world or to find my identity in being a student.  And it works fine at home because I do have my whole own world and relationships outside of school.  However, being an exchange student is another identity that allows for very little.  The whole idea revolves around the university and it's hard work to find a place to belong otherwise.  The natural community is with the other exchange students and everyone I've met has been great and I'm sure we'll continue to hang out.  But still, in the classroom, I not only have the obvious language barrier, but I have that same age gap as another point that accentuates my non-belonging.  I'm sure I could just dive in and, for example, attend various organized functions for students, or even outside of school, attend the young adults weekly meeting at the church, BUT it's just really not where I'm at.  I am definitely appreciative once again of my living arrangement since Christèle is actually closer to my age than my classmates.  And this really is nothing new; it just struck me today that, yes once again, I feel out of place.  It doesn't help either that the university building and classrooms feel like a high school!  :)

Another point of interest, for those of you who know how much I love naps...I finally took my first nap today!  I've resisted up to this point and have done really well with adjusting to the time change and pace of things (except for adjusting to meal times...instead, I just eat a lot :), but today, after about 2 hours of walking throughout the day, I came home spent and had a nap!  (Hence, I am up awake now.  Boo.)

To spice up this post, here is a photo of the Pont Wilson again.  This time, looking toward North Tours, the area where I live.  This was taken on one of the few sunny days.  Yes, the weather hasn't been great.  A lot of drizzly, rainy days.  And really annoying to know how to dress, because the mornings are cold, but then, if the clouds clear, it can get quite warm later and then you're wearing too many clothes!  But, it looks quite pretty in this picture so enjoy.  It's my current desktop shot.

No comments: