Tuesday 18 August 2009

Movies @ the cinema

I'm moving soon and am taking some time this week to pack. You know you're a bit of a nerd when the majority of your boxes are books and cds! This morning I've been going through paperwork and through a tin of random things. It's interesting to see what things I have saved. I try my best to not be a pack rat, keeping a policy to get rid of an item of clothing every time I get a new piece for example. I think this is a by product of the first two years that I lived in Kitchener-Waterloo, when I packed up and moved (either abroad or to another rental place in town) eleven times!!

Anyway, in this tin I mentioned are things like old (and current) passports, extra sets of car keys, Canadian Tire money, business cards...and...saved cinema stubs! I'm not sure when I started this habit, but I think that I have saved stubs from nearly every movie I've seen in the cinema for at least ten years. Why? I can think of two reasons. The first is because I remember that a friend once told me that Jumbo Video would give out free rentals for your cinema stubs. Do I have a Jumbo Video membership or do I ever go to the one location in town? Nope. Second, I was never allowed to go to the movies as a kid. The first time I ever went to the cinema was for a class outing to see Romeo and Juliet for grade eleven English class; it happened to be the year that Leo and Claire did their version of the story. Shortly after that, I remember that I was somehow able to convince my parents to let me go and see the re-release of Star Wars in cinema and that was where my cinema movie viewing began.

So, I've decided to throw the stubs out today. But before I do, I want to look at them and record just what movies I saw. Since the local independent theatres don't have stubs, this list will not count all the films I saw there. The order is not chronological and again, I have no idea how many years this goes back, but here they are:
Chronicles of Narnia
Superman Returns - Imax
Star Wars Episode III
Spiderman III
The Queen
Marley and Me
X-Men
Quantum of Solace
The Bourne Identity
Cold Creek Manor
Sweet Home Alabama (wow I saw that in Burnaby, BC)
Freaky Friday
Bridget Jones 2
The Forgotten
Hero
Farenheit 9/11
The Manchurian Candidate
Troy
The Stepford Wives (hmm, that cinema isn't even open anymore--Cinema 4 in Collingwood)
Shrek 2 (I think that was the first movie I went to by myself--and it was my birthday)
Spiderman 2
Return of the King
Love Actually
Matrix: Revolutions
A Beautiful Mind
Castaway
Lord of the Rings (I think it's The Fellowship of the Ring)
Chicago (and that cinema is gone now too--Kings College in Kitchener)
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
13 Going on 30
Star Wars (can't read which one)
Green Mile
Romeo Must Die
Mission Impossible 2
Riding in Cars With Boys
Rat Race (I remember seeing that on my birthday, the same year I watched Shrek 2)
Spiderman
Catch Me if You Can
Along Came Polly
Chicken Run
The Passion of the Christ
Star Wars - The Phantom Menace
The Proposal
Star Trek
Made of Honor
What Happens in Vegas
Sex and the City
Pirates of the Caribbean

Hmh. That's it. You'd think there'd be more. I guess those are just the ones I saved. It was hard to read some of them, so maybe I threw out older ones once before. I wonder if the list reveals at all what kind of person I am.

No comments: