Thursday 5 July 2007

Don't bet the farm

Just picked up my pay cheque and said goodbye to my farm friends. Who knows? I may be back there in August, but seriously, I need something closer and that pays more for less work. Yup, hoeing is hard work. Putting up with insistent, lonely Jamaica men isn't always easy either. But, I made it. Successfully so, since the older, German grandmother (whose actual name is Barnhill! (I may not be spelling that right)) quite likes me "Ee-lee-zabet" and she's the most hardcore, hoeing farmer lady I have ever met! Apparently I will be missed there and I think I may miss parts of it too. But on to other things.

Flying to London tonight! Yippee! I must admit, my suitcase is kinda heavy. I like to think that it was heavy to begin with, before I put anything inside. But it is kind of nice to do a "holiday" trip and look like a fancy tourist with a suitcase with wheels rather than a work trip where I look sweaty, unkempt and am lugging around a huge backpack. Not to mention the group of young 'uns trailing behind me whose tickets and passports I am so carefully holding. I don't really get to holiday much, so this is great!

Everything is coming together--we have accommodation all secured right up until the 12th. I am really looking forward to seeing my friends in Switzerland and am so thankful that they are able to host us. We have two nights in a fancy Paris hotel for which I had to redeem Aeroplan miles (the same amount of miles would have bought me more TWO return flights in North America!) since everything is so expensive. And we have a few nights stay at a Bed and Breakfast outside of Verona in a farm house.

Anyway, I am just kind of rushing this blog off since I am still getting the house cleaned up, the car washed of its farm dust, calling the fam, changing our answering machine (we're pretty much ALL away), refreshing my French knowledge....We leave in three hours for the airport.

Most exciting is that I had a digital camera given to me recently! My first one. So I intend to blog some more during the trip and hopefully share some amazing photos.

No comments: